Print Advertising is Thriving in 2019
Recently, many businesses have let their print advertising falter in favor of more digital advertising. While it is important for businesses to invest in the digital realm, it's more important to use print advertising to create a complete, balanced branding strategy, as research demonstrates.
For years now, the print media industry has fallen victim to the hype of the new digital wave. Digital media has become increasingly popular, but the data suggests that print media is still the most highly trusted and effective method of branding available to businesses.
For businesses that already have a digital advertising presence, print ads are the perfect compliment to a digital strategy. It's the most effective way to reach hyper-local markets for small business owners who rely on print to grow their business in the communities they serve.1 Print is a proven, dependable source of advertising.
Just think of your mechanic, dog groomer or plumber. They have physical locations that serve specific areas in your community. An online ad casts a wider net and might even reach a larger audience, but nobody knows where that audience is located. Advertising in a local magazine guarantees that relevant eyes are seeing your ads.Let's look at some of the major advantages of print media:
It’s the most trusted: Staying trustworthy in the eyes of your audience is critical. More than 82% of people trust print advertising more than any other form of advertising.2
It increases engagement: Online, the advertising noise can be overwhelming. Consumers are becoming blind to much of the digital advertising they see on a daily basis. Print ads actively engage a much higher percentage of readers and keep eyes on your ads longer.3
It boosts online traffic: Print ads actually help your online presence. Providing a call to action on your advertisement will help boost traffic to your website and social media outlets. Including these CTAs on your print ads will encourage consumers to visit your site and learn more about your company.4
It’s long-lasting: Printed materials such as magazines are often held onto by the reader for days, weeks and even months at a time. Advertising in a print format increases the chances that your ad is viewed more than once by the reader over an extended period of time.5
There are over 30 million small businesses in the United States, and most of them will turn to print advertising to help grow their business.6 We're not saying businesses shouldn't invest in digital advertising; the key is to strike a balance between the two. Digital and print should work cohesively together to meet the overall goal of your branding campaign.
Print media gives local businesses the opportunity to uniquely reach a targeted audience while separating themselves from the noisy digital world. Give print advertising a try in 2019, and watch your business grow like you haven't seen before.
1. Forbes Communications Council. "Does Print Still Have A Place In The Future of Advertising? 10 Experts Weigh In." Forbes (blog). March 2, 2018. Accessed April 15, 2019. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescommunicationscouncil/2018/03/02/does-print-still-have-a-place-in-the-future-of-advertising-10-experts-weigh-in/#2a9fb7c15fc6
2. Jenna Bruce. "Will Print Advertising Still Work in 2018?" Media Space Solutions (blog). September 27, 2017. Accessed April 15, 2019. http://www.mediaspacesolutions.com/blog/will-print-advertising-still-work-in-2018
3. Thomas Hobbs. "Marketers continue to 'waste money' as only 9% of digital ads are viewed for more than a second." Marketing Week (blog). July 26, 2016. Accessed April 15, 2019. https://www.marketingweek.com/2016/07/26/marketers-continue-to-waste-money-as-only-9-of-digital-ads-are-viewed-for-more-than-a-second/?nocache=true&login_errors%5B0%5D=invalidcombo&_lsnonce=41cf4e6d19&rememberme=1&ct_5cf140a23a40b=5cf140a23a40c
4. Chris Holloway. "How To Combine Print And Digital Marketing Campaigns." Jeff Bullas (blog). Accessed April 16, 2019. https://www.jeffbullas.com/mixed-marketing-create-joined-print-and-digital-campaigns/
5. "2019 Top Marketing Trends: The Holy Matrimony of Digital and Print Marketing." Nvision (blog). Accessed April 16, 2019. https://nvision.na.com/blog/2019-top-marketing-trendsthe-holy-matrimony-of-digital-and-print-marketing
6. "2018 Small Business Profile." Small Business Administration. Accessed April 16, 2019. https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/advocacy/2018-Small-Business-Profiles-US.pdf